Close your eyes and
imagine educational utopia. Imagine a place where students of every
background, race, culture, gender and sexual orientation passionately
yet respectfully debate social injustice. Imagine those students
actively listening to their classmates, considering their opinions,
and politely countering with arguments of their own. Imagine the
value of such interactions on each student and the impact that would
have on society and the future. Imagine the power of such mutual
respect and the social change it could inspire. What would such a
place look like and how will I create such a wonderful learning
environment?
I imagine it would
look like this. The walls are decorated with inspirational leaders
from around the globe. As diverse as the students are themselves, so
are the heroes of social change that greet them when they enter the
classroom. “Be the change that you wish to see in the world,”
Mahatma Gandhi entreats them in bold letters. Further down the wall,
Maya Angelou coaches, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." And
between posters of Frida Kahlo and Ang San Suu Kyi lies the words of
Abraham Lincoln in bright red print: “The
philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the
philosophy of government in the next.”
Wiser
words have never been more resonant and relevant.
At the back of the
class, I stand quietly observing the classroom discussion, only
cutting in when necessary. It has taken several months, but I am
finally pleased with the classroom built on respect that has
developed under my supervision. Every morning I stand at the door and
greet every student by name, letting them know that they are valued
and important. I have carefully crafted lesson plans that highlight
classroom diversity and build appreciation and empathy among my
students. In my class, every student has a voice and every student's
voice is appreciated. From day one, I have quickly addressed any
hurtful remarks that were said during classroom discussion and used
those incidents as an opportunity to discuss bigger issues like
bullying and its detrimental and often catastrophic effects. It has
been a slow road inching towards a culture of acceptance and respect,
but finally the students have learned that hate and abuse will not be
tolerated within the walls of the classroom. I only hope that the
lessons I am teaching daily are extending outside into the halls, the
sports fields and the world at large.
I had known entering
the classroom on the first day of school that I would be dealing with
students from many backgrounds, most of which would have experiences
much different than my own. I am from a small town in rural North
Carolina, but somehow I had found myself teaching at an international
school in Bogota, Colombia. The surreality of it all was almost
overwhelming. The class is made up mostly of wealthy Colombians with
a smattering of students from other Latin American countries-- all
native Spanish speakers. Mixed in are a couple of students from the
United States as well as one Finnish and one Korean student. Somehow
I needed to blend all this diversity into a cohesive and
collaborative class and I was dealing with a class of sixth graders,
all on the threshold of puberty, with hormones breeding confusion in
their young minds. This was a critical time in their lives, and I
realized that I had the potential to either be totally ineffective or
create a lifelong pattern of respect. With head held high and
shoulders squared, I boldly accepted the challenge of the latter. And
that attitude had made all the difference.
On day one I had
introduced myself to the class, described my vision for the class and
let them all know that this was a safe place. In this class, it was
ok to make mistakes. I'm not perfect and I don't expect my students
to be perfect, but I do expect them to treat everyone with respect.
As their first activity, they had brainstormed what respect meant and
come up with their own rules for our class. It was my hope that if
the students had control over the rules they would follow, they were
more likely to observe them. This exercise had given me new insight
into the values of the various students in the class. Next, students
had interviewed one another and had given presentations to the class,
in which they highlighted each other's uniqueness and pointed out
things that they found interesting. This had started a pattern of
celebrating the cultures represented in the class. That week, the
students also had started journaling. I had encouraged them to write
about things they witnessed in regards to social injustice or
examples of students making good choices and how these episodes
affected them. At first, the students had been reluctant to share
their journal entries with the class, but as they began to feel safe
within the classroom, they had begun to read them aloud and discuss
them at length, learning from one another and developing a sense of
compassion for their fellow students. The lessons learned through
these exercises had been invaluable and bullying had disappeared from
their behavior.
Of course, this
whole utopic scenario is yet to come to pass, but I am optimistic
that with the right tools and determination, this could be the
classroom of my future. But no matter what happens, I will treat
every student with respect and strive daily for objectivity. In turn,
I hope my students will do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment