My gut response to this question is to shout from the rooftop, "Yes!
Of course it is. How dare anyone even question that fact." But being the
reasonable person that I am, I decided to put the question to the gods
of Google. Boy, was I surprised by the answers. There is a surprising
amount of internet space devoted to this very theme, and unfortunatley, a
good deal of it is not kind. It's surprising since none of the good
posters of the interwebs would be able to write such undignified
responses if some kind teacher hadn't at one time cared enough to teach
them how to read and write. But then again, how good of a job did those
teachers do since most of the posters seem to be grammatically inept.
My next stop on the journey to enlightenment on this subject was the
reference material for this module. I was happily reading along, ready
for the nod of approval from my newly chosen "profession," when my eyes
stumbled upon the words "semi-profession." Apparently, according to most
sociologists, teaching is only a semi-profession "because its knowledge
base is not well-defined and consistently used, and its members have
very little control over who enters the field and how they are judged."
And with that, I sighed, a deep gut-wrenching sigh on behalf of
semi-professional teachers everywhere. But then I felt a little better
because Webster didn't list sociology as one of his three examples of
professions (law, medicine, and theology) in his indisputable
dictionary, so I can totally discount all their work too, right?
All this research, and I'm right back to where I started--with my own
opinion. My husband is a lawyer (a truly defined professional), and I
suffered through the law school years with him and the long hours of his
first law practice. I would never devalue his hard work in any way, but
nor would he mine. No, I haven't spent three years earning an advance
degree to become a teacher, but I guarantee I will enter the classroom
just as prepared as he enters the courtroom. I will put my heart into my
classes and I will win over the young minds of my students, just as he
wins over juries. And when I don't know the answer to something, I will
research it until I am an expert with the subject.
In the end, the truth is, it doesn't really matter to me if teaching
is considered a profession. As long as I am treating it as a profession
and teaching with passion to inspire a lifetime of learning, I am a
professional with a profession that is the very cornerstone of our
society. Perhaps when society starts treating teachers as the
professionals that they are, we will see a marked change in our
educational system.
No comments:
Post a Comment